Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 241 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:35 am
Latest topics
» hi hi hi hi hi
Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeby Kupo Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 pm

» Death's Dorm
Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:44 pm

» Creepy Deck Shop OF AWESUMENESS LOLS
Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:46 pm

» Dorm Leader
Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:20 am

» !Death!'s test results
Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeby Omega Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 am

» Madness's test results
Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeby Omega Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:04 am

» New member.
Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:20 am

Monster Effects. When can I use and why?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cheesfactory
Chaos Hero
cheesfactory

<b>DN Username</b> DN Username : cheesfactory
<b>Duel Points</b> Duel Points : 1450
<b>Posts</b> Posts : 220
<b>Age</b> Age : 27
<b>Location</b> Location : California
<b>Join date</b> Join date : 2012-07-30
No Warnings

Monster Effects. When can I use and why? Empty
PostSubject: Monster Effects. When can I use and why?   Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 pm

So for my first lesson I'll be teaching it will be pretty simple. Just an explanation of when and why different types of monster effects activate. I figure I'll start small and work my way up to more complicated stuff. After all; if you don't know the core, how can you be expected to know the details?

So what kinds of effects are there? Well there are trigger effects, flip effects, quick effects, and continuous effects. Let's start with trigger effects.
A trigger effect is an effect that activates upon a trigger. For example, Tour Guide from the Underworld's effect activates when she is normal summoned. The normal summon is the trigger which activates an effect. A trigger effect can be negated as well as its activation(more on different types of negations later). Tour guide is an example of a manditory, automatic effect. This means if you activate trap hole, or torrential tribute Her effect will STILL activate. If you use trap hole or torrential tribute the summon still occurs. Therefore the trigger still happened, and tour guide will still search out and summon a fiend. The same is true for any of the Monarchs, and any on-summon effect. However, say you activate Solemn Warning on tour guide! the summon would be NEGATED, not just destroy the monster. This means the trigger(being summoned) would not happen! so the effect does not take place. Trigger effects happen as soon as the trigger occurs, regardless of the scenario, except for in very specific effects and situations(these will be covered in the more detailed areas).
Now let's talk about a flip effect. These are similar to trigger effects in that it activates as soon as its trigger occurs(in this case flipping from face-down to face-up). So when can I use a flip effect? Well anytime your monster is flipped of course! A monster can be flipped in a few ways. The first is manually flipping via a flip-summon from face-down defense to face-up attack. Second, then forced by a card effect. For example Book of Taiyou forces the face-down monster to flip into attack position. The flip activates the flip effect. The third and last way is for the face-down monster to be attacked. At the start of the damage step the monster is flipped face-up. This instantly activates the effect. Note however, if Ryko or Snowman eater is flipped and destroys the attacking monster, the attack still carries through. Potentially inflicting damage and destruction of Ryko. A couple things to remember about flip effects. They are NOT activated when the monster is destroyed by a card effect(such as dark hole, tribute to the doomed, raigeki break, etc). If a monster is flip-summoned and the summoned is negated(as solemn warning or judgment, etc) the effect will NOT activate. The summon being negated means the flip does not happen so no effect occurs.
Quick effects. A quick effect is an effect with a spell-speed of 2 that can be activated at any time appropriate. Some examples of quick effects are Shi En, or Prime Material Dragon. These effects can be used during either players turn(as noted in the effect) during any phase appropriate for the effect. Also note, these effects are spell-speed 2 and so cannot be chained to a counter trap(chain details will be discussed in HEAVY detail at a later date). The easy way to know if your monster has a quick effect is if it says it can be activated during either player's turn.
Continuous effects. A continuous effect is an effect that occurs as soon as the monster touches the field, and remains present until the monster is destroyed, or the effect says it would end. An example would be Prime Material Dragon reversing life-point loss to life-point gain. These effects are not required to be activated, and so the negation cannot be stopped. They happen automatically and instantaneously.

To cap this off, I will explain how negating works and when it is applicable. Fiendish chain or Effect veiler negate a monsters effects. This includes anything from cannot be destroyed by battle to Trag's attack gain. ANY effect is effectively ignored during this time. However, if you have an effect that negates ACTIVATION can only be used in response to the activation of a monster's effect. For example Divine Wrath could be used in response to Shi En, but could not be used if Shi En did not activate his effect. If you negate the activation of an effect then it cannot be used to negate a continuous effect. As continuous effects do not activate, their activation cannot be negated(how do you negate what never happens?).

I hope this was useful to know and not overly boring. I will GLADLY clear up any confusion you may have ^^. Simply send me a Private message or post a response in my class room.

Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
Tylaxesensei

Tylaxesensei

<b>DN Username</b> DN Username : Tylaxesensei
<b>Duel Points</b> Duel Points : 160
<b>Posts</b> Posts : 31
<b>Age</b> Age : 30
<b>Location</b> Location : Baltimore, MD
<b>Join date</b> Join date : 2012-08-13
No Warnings

PostSubject: Re: Monster Effects. When can I use and why?   Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 am

More indepth on miss timing? ;D lol (Just learn the Geargiaccelerator miss timing for sync(its ruling is poorly written for that reason))
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TylaxeSensei?feature=mhee

PostSubject: Re: Monster Effects. When can I use and why?   Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 12:03 pm

well that was LONG!, you have to resume and make more topics instead, how about battle phase timing?, you will have to explain , main phase timing, every thing that happens there, beacuse most people just skips that, there about 15 things that happen, things like summon attempt, time for spell speed 2 or higher effects to chain, and attack declaration, beacuse THAT is the core of everything Razz
Back to top Go down
cheesfactory
Chaos Hero
cheesfactory

No Warnings

PostSubject: Re: Monster Effects. When can I use and why?   Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 6:12 pm

I did the post on chains which talked about missing timing. @fedeheart i also did one on the battle phase and i think i did one on all the phases. not sure... Anyways, sorry i havnt been putting anything up. school is a mean person :p
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Monster Effects. When can I use and why?   Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Good job Chess. You answered all my questions I had on some of these in your lesson and in very good details too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cheesfactory
Chaos Hero
cheesfactory

No Warnings

PostSubject: Re: Monster Effects. When can I use and why?   Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 10:25 pm

good to know ^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monster Effects. When can I use and why?   Monster Effects. When can I use and why? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monster Effects. When can I use and why?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1