Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 241 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:35 am
Latest topics
» hi hi hi hi hi
The Dreaded Chain I_icon_minitimeby Kupo Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 pm

» Death's Dorm
The Dreaded Chain I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:44 pm

» Creepy Deck Shop OF AWESUMENESS LOLS
The Dreaded Chain I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:46 pm

» Dorm Leader
The Dreaded Chain I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:20 am

» !Death!'s test results
The Dreaded Chain I_icon_minitimeby Omega Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 am

» Madness's test results
The Dreaded Chain I_icon_minitimeby Omega Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:04 am

» New member.
The Dreaded Chain I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:20 am

The Dreaded Chain

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cheesfactory
Chaos Hero
cheesfactory

<b>DN Username</b> DN Username : cheesfactory
<b>Duel Points</b> Duel Points : 1450
<b>Posts</b> Posts : 220
<b>Age</b> Age : 26
<b>Location</b> Location : California
<b>Join date</b> Join date : 2012-07-30
No Warnings

The Dreaded Chain Empty
PostSubject: The Dreaded Chain   The Dreaded Chain I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Okay guys, last one until monday so make it count... It will. I guarantee it. If you can understand this process then you will be set for any yugioh rulings forever more. The chain is THE most complicated thing in yugioh. It also explains almost any ruling question there is if you understand it.

So how do chains work? well its simple. I activate a card, you activate another one in response. We now have a chain. The key notes of a chain: A chain builds up and resolves down. Also you can NEVER activate a card while a chain is resolving.

A chain builds up. What does this mean? Basically if I activate My field spell and you respond by chaining MST we have a chain with 2 links. Link1 is the field spell. Link2 is the MST. see how its building up? starts at 1, then goes to 2, then 3, etc.
Now the chain resolves down. This means the highest link resolves first. As in the example above, the highest link is 2, the mst. So the MST resolves first, destroying the field spell before it ever activates. Now we go to Link1, the field spell, well as it is destroyed nothing happens so the chain finishes. This is why an MST chained to magical citadel will destroy the citadel. The citadel never activates. Therefore it can never gain a spellcounter. Also, as before, you can NEVER activate a card while a chain is resolving. If an effect happens as a result of a chain(for example Darkflare Dragon milling an Eclipse wyvern) The new effect will start a new chain after the current chain finishes. it does NOT interupt the current chain and activate its effect.

Thats all there is to chains, but that makes it sound much simpler than it really is. Let's take some examples.

First. I summon my monster(remember, a summon does not start a chain). My opponent responds to the summon by activating his Call of the Haunted. I say ok thats fine. He then chains Torrential Tribute to call of the haunted. Im not ok with that so I activate my starlight road to the torrential(assuming i have 2 monsters). He responds by activating Raigeki Break, discarding its cost, and targetting one of my monsters. I activate Seven tools to negate the raigeki break. He then activates Solemn Judgment negating seven tools.

So lets see how this chain resolves. the first card to activate is call of the haunted, so that is chainlink1. After that comes Torrential Tribute as link2. Then starlight road as link3. Raigeki Break as link4. seven tools is link5, and solemn judgment is link6.
The chain resolves DOWNWARD so link6 comes first. Solemn negates seven tools. Link5 is negated so seven tools resolves with no effect. now link4 destroys one of the 2 monsters. Now starlight road comes. As starlight road comes into play AFTER raigeki break, when it would activate there is only 1 monster being destroyed! alas, starlight road becomes a dud without its requirement being there. Now torrential tribute destroys the last remaining monster as link2 and then link1 resolves as call of the haunted summoning a monster(not destroyed by torrential)

So maybe now you get an idea how a chain would work. So how about that weird thing "missing timing" I keep hearing about? Well here is how that works.
Have you ever seen a monster with a (when X you <CAN> do Y? like lightpulsar dragon is a CAN effect. This means that when the conditions are met you are allowed to carry out its effect. This is how cards miss timing. Say my opponent summons lightpulsar dragon. if i respond with torrential tribute then its only 1 link so torrential destroys pulsar and pulsar's effect resolves to summon a dragon. Now imagine I activate call of the haunted in response to pulsars summon? then if i chain torrential we have 2 links. First torrential destroys lightpulsar. AH! pulsars condition is met! ill summon a dragon! oh wait... the chain hasnt resolves. I cant activate my effect during a resolving chain ): that means pulsar's effect "misses timing" and doesnt happen. then chain link1 as call of the haunted resolves, summoning a monster.

Basically, if it is a CAN effect then its condition must be the final thing to resolve in the chain. A manditory effect, such as sangan, however doesnt care. If an effect is manditory to carry out then you wait until the current chain resolves and then the effect starts a new chain. so if its manditory, it happens at the end regardless. if its optional, it only happens if its condition is the final thing.

Now lets take an example of how the chain can screw up an effect, and therefore how you can learn to avoid this.

Here is a chain. Darkflare has his effect. Discard a dragon, mill a dragon, and banish 1 card in any graveyard. So I think huh. When eclipse wyvern goes to grave i get to banish a dragon, then when eclipse is banished i get that dragon to my hand. Maybe I could use darkflare to get that for free...

So here is what happens. Darkflare pays his cost milling Eclipse wyvern. Now darkflare's effect activates banishing the milled eclipse wyvern. What resolves?

The following is typed in a font you wont be able to read. Simply highlight the following and it will show up. This is so you can test to see if you understand how this works.

Ok. The first thing to happen is eclipse wyvern is milled. His effect is manditory, so even though darkflare hasnt resolved yet, his effect will still activate at the end of the chain. Now darkflare's effect banishes eclipse wyvern. Darkflare is finished so now a new chain can occur. Two things have happened to eclipse wyvern. 1 its banished, 2 its sent to the grave. The first was its sent to the grave so that effect to banish a monster is link1. now its effect to get the monster back happens. As this happened after, it is link2. So now lets see how the chain resolves. Link2 resolves first. As link1 is yet to resolves, there is no banished mosnter to get back so nothing happens. Now link1 happens banishing a dragon. As eclipse wyvern is already banished then his effect will not occur! this leaves the banished dragon gone for good and unable to get back with eclipse wyvern.

Hopefully you got that one right. If not its ok, its complicated. This WILL confuse everyone. chains are complicated. if you ever have any questions, please ask and i will be able to help.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed !
Back to top Go down
cheesfactory
Chaos Hero
cheesfactory

<b>DN Username</b> DN Username : cheesfactory
<b>Duel Points</b> Duel Points : 1450
<b>Posts</b> Posts : 220
<b>Age</b> Age : 26
<b>Location</b> Location : California
<b>Join date</b> Join date : 2012-07-30
No Warnings

The Dreaded Chain Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dreaded Chain   The Dreaded Chain I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Last one now. I gotta go soon so I will see everyone on Monday ^^
Back to top Go down

The Dreaded Chain

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Courtyard :: Lessons-