Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 241 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:35 am
Latest topics
» hi hi hi hi hi
More on monster effects. Where and when? I_icon_minitimeby Kupo Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 pm

» Death's Dorm
More on monster effects. Where and when? I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:44 pm

» Creepy Deck Shop OF AWESUMENESS LOLS
More on monster effects. Where and when? I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:46 pm

» Dorm Leader
More on monster effects. Where and when? I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:20 am

» !Death!'s test results
More on monster effects. Where and when? I_icon_minitimeby Omega Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 am

» Madness's test results
More on monster effects. Where and when? I_icon_minitimeby Omega Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:04 am

» New member.
More on monster effects. Where and when? I_icon_minitimeby !Death! Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:20 am

More on monster effects. Where and when?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cheesfactory
Chaos Hero
cheesfactory

<b>DN Username</b> DN Username : cheesfactory
<b>Duel Points</b> Duel Points : 1450
<b>Posts</b> Posts : 220
<b>Age</b> Age : 26
<b>Location</b> Location : California
<b>Join date</b> Join date : 2012-07-30
No Warnings

More on monster effects. Where and when? Empty
PostSubject: More on monster effects. Where and when?   More on monster effects. Where and when? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Today I'm going to go over where monster effects activate, and what that causes; as well as when monster effects can miss timing. I went over missing timing a little in my talk about chains but I will go over it a bit more.

Where:

Monster effects can activate in a few places. The field, the grave, the hand, the deck, the extra deck, or the RFG zone.

Normally they activate on the field, for example red-eyes DMD, or Legendary six samurai Shi En. However, if a card specifies "when this card is sent to the grave" or "when this card is sent from the field to the grave" that means that it activates in the graveyard. It can also activate in your hand, for example Gorz activates in your hand. It happens in RFG if it specifies "when this monster is removed from play" or "when this monster is banished" that means it activates in the RFG zone. If it says "when this monster leaves the field" then it activates wherever it goes, for example if Compulsory evacuation device is used on Absolute zero, then zero's effect to destroy all cards on the field activates in the grave.

Because of this, if Monster Reborn is used on a monster like masked dragon(activates in grave) and then that monster is destroyed, the original owner of masked dragon would get to activate the effect because it activated is the original owners grave. if its player A's grave player A gets the eff. if its player B's grave, player B gets the eff. this is true for any RFG, sent to deck, to hand, to grave eff. If it doesnt activate on the field then the original owner gets the eff.

Any conditions on a monster end when it leaves the field or is set face-down. For example, an equip spell, or a fiendish chain do not affect a monster once it is not on the field. This also means that if a monster is hit by "fiendish chain" and it leaves the field then its effect can activate. If you FC Absolute zero and he is destroyed, then his eff woudl still go off. It activates off the field so fiendish chain does not negate it.

All conditions on a monster include tokens, stat changes, effect changes, or anything of the sort. This means if a monster copies another monsters stats or effect, then those would cease to apply when it leaves the field.

I hope that clears some stuff on negating/activating/resolving effects Smile

Missing timing, more of it:

A monster misses timing when it has a "can" effect, for example Lightpulsar dragon. Lightpulsar dragon says if this card goes to grave then you CAN SS a monster. says a can effect, so it is capable of missing timing.

Can means its optional, if it doesnt say can then it is manditory and must be carried out and it therefore cannot miss timing.

basically, CAN=capable of missing timing. manditory=cannot miss timing

So when does a monster miss timing? A monster misses timing if its condition is not the final thing to resolve in the chain. That means unless the last thing to happen is lightpulsar getting destroyed, it cannot activate its effect. This also applies to a monster being tribute summoned or used for a synchro summon. As it hits the grave THEN the monster is summoned, it will miss timing.

this is pretty basic in concept, although it can seem complicated. Hopefully this explanation clears it up a bit.

Sorry I havnt posted as much recently, been busy w/ school and such. I don't know if I will be able to post much in future, but I will when I can. Also, if you give me a topic you want discussed I will do my best to find time for it. Smile
Back to top Go down

More on monster effects. Where and when?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Courtyard :: Lessons-